homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:59:34 EST

> >James you know you can't draw the conclusions you did from those
> observations..You don't know whether their behaviors were the result of
> medical problems(like hyper/hypothyroidism) or whether their actions or
> lack thereof were the result of their weight, not the cause of their
> weight.

So I keep hearing, but Bev I've got to level with you and say that all that
"You just don't know what's really going on with these people ,..." is crap.

What I have observed to be consistent, as reliable as the sun rising, is that
people who believe in the "I just got bad genes" bit are invariably out of
shape, overweight, and deteriorating right before my eyes. People who don't
believe it (and therefore don't act on it) are always the ones who are fit
and
healthy and able even into extreme old age.

The thing is, suppose it were true (which it almost never is) that a person
had some infirmity or condition as you suggest. What difference does that
make? All the more urgent reason to get up and move and bend, not less.

> I'll give you that..
> I'm just not sure it is enough.

And I'm chuckling. What I am outlining is ten times the physical involvement
that a half hour of Jack LaLanne is going to provide.

>Will doing things the flexibility way

> make sure that I will be flexible enough when that unforeseen thing
> happens and I need strength and flexibility (like, I don't know, maybe
> jumping a fence to put space between myself and a rabid coyote or
> something, or stepping in a gopher hole and twisting 300 ways on the way
> down to the ground)

And some push ups and ten minutes of Richard Simmons is going to enable you
to leap fences and twist your ankle 90 degrees with no harm? You've got to
understand the humor here, Bev, it seems as if you are dismissing a life of
continuious motion and effort as perhaps not up to par with 20 jumping jacks
and
fifteen minutes on the stationary bicycle.

> >Realize that I am not bemoaning my age. I just want more strength,
> flexibility, and tone. I want a more fit body!

Well, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances, so good luck with Hanz and
Franz approach to flexibilty and tone. But I tend to look around and see if
can find examples of success for any type of approach I intend to try. Know
anyone your age and in your physical condition who has added significant
improvement in strength, flexibility and tone from what you propose? I
don't know
any.

James