homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:28:30 -0500

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'd like to add more weight training, but
> > don't have a weight set....is doing lots of reps with smaller weights
> > as good for building muscle?
>
> I'm not sure about your last question, which is why I need help myself.

I hesitate to enter this discussion beyond offering links (the ACE link has
especially good info, IMO) because I currently am a prime example of knowing
and not doing. When I was a "fitness" person, I found that it was important
to train beyond my regular demands.

For example, someone who teaches a 45-minute Rhythmic Aerobics class will do
a better job if she is not working at her maximum in that class. Engaging
in regular cardio at a higher level and/or for a longer time will put the RA
class well within her comfort level.

The same with other muscles. Lots of reps with smaller weights will build
endurance with small weights. Great for joint stability, etc., too.
Generally speaking from a fitness point of view (no mystery or
insanity<g>), if you want to gain competence with an ability, work
(carefully) beyond it.

Your mileage may vary.

Cathy