homestead - Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:11:17 -0500

Thanks for finding other biting spiders. I knew there were some, but
never looked for them.

Lynda wrote:
You, as in Georgia, have several spiders that could be a problem.

Big surprise there...lol..if it is poisonous or otherwise destructive,
we have it...

The yellow sac spider: sting similar in feeling to a bee or wasp;
localized redness and burning lasting up to an hour, with rash and
blistering occuring during the next 1-10 hours. Sometimes an
alcerated lesion develops at the site of the bite.

I've seen these before, but not very often. I don't think this was it.

Trachelas tranquillus: records of severe secondary infection
associated with the bite.

I googled that and I see these spiders all the time in the woodpile. I
just thought they were a variant of the ubiquitous wolf spider. It is
within the realm of probability that this is the culprit as it is a
bigger spider and might have felt more bug like

You do know that field ants bite and that they inject some type of
secretion into the bite that can be painful and in a very allergic
person could cause other problems??

Oh yeah, I know. Many secrete formic acid.

Blister beetles?

I find them dead in hay bales sometimes. I know they are around, but
doubt this is what bit me.

I don't think the squash bugs bite but the assassin bugs do bite and
the bites can be painful and cause allergic reactions and become
infected.

Squash bugs can bite, too.

Obviously, it is not something deadly. Whatever it is, I am having an
allergic reaction to it, and then getting a secondary infection,
probably MRSA..nasty stuff. This bite hasn't been as infected as the
last one, but it has been more painful with weird tingly fingers of pain
shooting across my abdomen. Strange. If it didn't keep me from taking
my other meds, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda