homestead - [Homestead] Pine beetle damage

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pine beetle damage
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:46:50 -0500

I have posted the pictures I took this afternoon of the damage pine
beetles have done to my land and trees. You may need to click on the
picture for detail due to the time of dayI'm trying to think of this as
yet another natural part of a changing ecosystem, but it is hard,
because I know what it looked like 10 years ago, and like the chestnut
blight, I don't think these pine beetles are indigenous. Chestnuts
were, but are no more. Pines were, but are vanishing fast.
It is a domino effect of change...Beetles kill the tree, storms fell
tree, tree falls on other trees, opening widens and allow wind to blow
down even more trees. There is a spot near the top of the hill, where
the little saplings are almost waist high, a sign that the forest is
regenerating, but with hickories, oaks, poplar, and sweetgum, not pine.

http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13
I put all the pictures in the Misc Album, including the little pine tree
where the buck rubbed. Tomorrow,I'm going to take some antlers with me.

Bev
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda