homestead - Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:49:17 -0500

bob ford wrote:
No, you mis-read what I was saying. The last thing I would do is dig
a hole, with a case of beans and a case of ammo. By now, you should
have a better picture of me, bev :-)

Well, I did not think so, but there were a couple of references to such
on that page! Like I say, I am just confused.

Mayb e you picked up the wrong vibe from that site. And, you really have to go from the sites to the more personal message boards, and back and forth. They are just young activists. They 'do" , while I only 'talk' on this list. It isn't important.

But it is important, even 'only' talk. It is by talking that we
convince ourselves, reason with ourselves. I very often use this list
as a sounding board, and I think you do as well. It helps us mold our
opinions of things and make decisions.
I don't want you to think you are too old or too unhealthy. If your
wife doesn't understand this, and you feel that it is important, then
you have to make her understand. If it is truly not that important,
then why are you here? Why did you buy land? Why have you saved money?

My folks were miserly beyond belief. I was raised in the "former middle
class", probably the lower end of such, in a neighborhood built by
Lockheed...blue collar all the way. My stepfather worked for phone
company...I say that because depending on what year it was...that would
tell you who...Western Electric, Southern Bell, AT&T, Bellsouth, Lucent,
etc. etc. Anyway, mother made my clothing-or I made them myself, and we
had a garden and canned every year. We worked on our own vehicles,
never bought anything new...MISERLY, I can't stress that enough.
Imagine my surprise a few years back when I was brought into the
confidence of my stepfather's finances and learned that his net worth
was in the millions. He had invested all of that communications stock
very wisely. My folks were in their mid 70's and still saving for that
rainy day. I have convinced them that they have earned enough to spend
a little and live a little. Their idea of living it up was to buy a
185K house in a subdivision in a town near me. When they sold the old
one, a 50 year old brick ranch in Atlanta, the new house cost less than
a new car would have. But, at 79, mother finally has the fireplace she
always wanted, and he has the house on the hill with the view he wanted.
They wish they had let go of their wallet before. Go figure.
I know you are not old, and I also know you have saved...I know you have
health issues...don't answer to me....but what are you waiting for?

Bev
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda