homestead - Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My Inconvenient Truth
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:54:26 -0500

Note the subtle subject change, it's important.<g>

bob ford wrote:

***** Click on this link. Some of These are groups run by some of the
more rational of the young protestors at the big global economic summits over the past few years. They are a bit older, armed, and angry. http://billstclair.com/blog/

I looked at the site. I have seen sites like that before.
I'm still unclear on what you are saying...
Are you saying you would stock up on guns and ammo and hole up somewhere
and wait for the BATF to confront you? But only for a year?
And would your wife not figure into the equation? Are you serious?

*********That's why I said they were still "hangingin in". I have all kinds of greens, mustard, turnip, spinch, collard, lettuce. Some
from seeds which haven't yet seen light, some for pl;ants, they are
the ones "still hanging in there". It is 10:31 am and 72 degrees. Right now. When are you going , again, to try and bag that deer?

I went yesterday morning, and I will probably go again this afternoon.
Maybe Ron will go instead of me, I don't know. Today is his year out
anniversary doctor's appointment, and he may want to just sit in the
woods alone.

I'm not a violent person, just violent enough to be able to take an
animal and defend myself. I am not one that thinks I would have to
defend myself indefinitely. I believe, even in a worst case scenario,
that there would be a stabilization after a certain initial period of
time, and then society would rebuild itself with lessons learned, and
hopefully, we would enter a renaissance or golden age of peace and
understanding, both of our human neighbors and of our planet. I know, I
am naive.

Bob, when we made the decision to leave the Atlanta burbs, we did so
with young children. TJ was 11. I did not want to wait. I did not
think I had time to wait. I did not see the calamity as being way off
in the future, only in the near future. I knew that I had to have time
to learn, to err, to practice, to connect and become apart of another
community. Those are not things that are done a year prior, or even two
years prior to whatever collapse you think is looming(social, economic,
medical, etc.) I guess what I am saying is that if you truly believe
that society as we know it now will end, then you should do whatever you
think is in your heart, and do it now or don't do it. I mean that in
the best way. After 10 years here, I am still learning and expect to
continue to learn for another 10, if I live. I feel that I should have
'escaped' to this lifestyle 15 or more years before I finally got the
guts to do it. Now, my priority is a bit different than it was in
1998...now it is to develop the land in a permaculture mindset so that
my children and grandchildren will have an easier time after I am gone.
For some, that was their goal all along, but my original purpose and my
purpose now were never mutually exclusive. I may not be milking goats
at present, but I know how to do that, so do my kids, and I have the
infrastructure for such. I may not be growing grains at present, but I
am working on the appropriate technology for that at this location, and
I hope to be able to do that soon. I am trying to manage/steward my
land in a way that mimics nature without catastrophic destruction(like
forest fires). I'm trying to make the best of the resources available in
this valley(things like wildcollecting).

I sometimes get the sense that some people voyeur this list and other
lists as a way to check on the 'kooks' of society. They believe in the
possibility of a bad future enough to entertain themselves with the
lifestyles of those of us kooks who have actually taken action on their
fears/desires, but not enough to make their own plans. I know this is
not you, Bob, because I know you have land and have plans, but I do
think that you are still holding on to old ways and just aren't ready to
make the 100% commitment that it takes. You cannot learn the truth of
one world by looking at it through the window of another. There will
never be a good time to do it...you just have to dive in. If you want
to keep a foot in the water, that's cool, and for those of you who are
just here to read and have no intention whatsoever of changing your
life, that is cool, too, BUT realize that even if you do take the plunge
into the river of homesteading, that still doesn't guarantee you of
anything, because there is a huge learning curve and because you are
closer to the Earth, you also are more affected by her moans and groans.
If you are reading this because you think the information you glean from
this list will help you survive one day(and it really doesn't matter
what you are trying to survive), then you should be taking the plunge.

I'm sure that is not what some people want to hear, but it is the truth
from my perspective. I wish that I could learn parkour by watching
youtube videos and reading books and doing situps in my living room, but
it just doesn't work that way. I don't think I am too old or too
unhealthy to learn it, at least some of it, but I'd never profess to
have Jackie Chan's wall climbing ability, and that might end up being
the one skill that I needed to save myself...it'd be just my luck. :)

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda