homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bark Beetles Kill Millions of Acres of Trees in West

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bark Beetles Kill Millions of Acres of Trees in West
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:57:34 -0500

I am dealing with this type problem on my own land. The beetles are
killing my pine trees. It is heartbreaking. I think I will take some
pictures one day soon

Bev

bob ford wrote:
I'm not going to try to give a quick run-down on this article. I
knew the bark beetle problem was big, but I had no idea of the near &
future ramifications. From tomorrow's NYT:

excerts:

"In the next three to five years, Mr. Kyhl said, virtually all of
Colorado’s lodgepole pine trees over five inches in diameter will be
lost, about five million acres. “Already in many places, every
lodgepole over five inches is dead as far as the eye can see,” he
said.".......

".........Hoping to keep their forests from completely dying, to earn
money by selling dead and infected trees and to mitigate fire risks,
landowners are scrambling to cut the pines. If enough are cut — up to
75 percent — it might leave some behind that, with less competition
for water, can survive......."

"The dead trees that blanket the mountains are shifting ecosystems as
well."

"The other major problem is large numbers of falling trees. In
Colorado and Wyoming, officials have closed 38 campgrounds for fear
trees could fall on campers. They have reopened all but 14. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/science/18trees.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp