homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm Animals was SE PA going to identifiablenon-cashsmartcardsfortransportation

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm Animals was SE PA going to identifiablenon-cashsmartcardsfortransportation
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:39:18 -0800

Bob, girl sheep are ewes and they dry up pretty darned fast. Goats milk for
a longer period of time and cows milk for the longest. Goats have kids, not
lambs. If you have milked cows, a Sanaan is the closest as to teat size and method of milking. Not the same but we found that folks who had milked cows were most comfortable milking the Sanaan does. They also milk tons, or so it seems compared to the average goat. We kept the Sanaans to use to raise the pigs. Between the acorns and the goats milk, we had pork you could cut with a fork and was sooooo tasty! We also had a couple of "nurse" nannies that were Sanaans and we would leave them with the kids during the night in a separate barn. Seemed to keep the kids quiet. We milked mornings and then turned the does out with the kids and separated them at night. The only ones we took the kids off of were the kidlets show does.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Thanks for answering so quickly. The last time I had a milk cow, I was
about six years old. (I'm one of those people, that as a kid, the doc
told daddy that raw, un-pasteurized milk was making me sick- he bought a
pastuerizer, and then got rid of the cow).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure thast cow did not have a calf. ? Now, I have no
intentions of having any animal as big as a cow, but I suppose goats would
be similar. After the lamb gets bigger (or slaughtered), does not the
nanny continue to be milkable? Sorry for my ignorance on this; I have
milked cows, but it has been so long, some of this stuff is confusiong
.....bobford