homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 14:11:46 -0800

Depends on the target pistol. Mine takes just plain old K-Mart/WallyWorld el' cheapo 22 longs. Of course, mine is OLD! It isn't one of those fancy, smancy one that folks go and buy and pay the big bucks for at the fancy country club like gun clubs.

And, it is far more accurate than the average handgun. I can take the head off a thistle (my favorite target <g>) at 150' and I can split the stem. Do both depending on my mood at the time. And, if course, if I run out of thistle heads to aim at. <g>

The barrel is about 6", not one of those things that looks like you're carrying around a mini-rifle.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

But it's not so.

For example (and there's plenty of blather about this):

"It is also largely a myth that longer barrels are intrinsically more
accurate. In fact, bullets are stabilized after a very short amount of barrel travel,
and short-barreled handguns can be remarkably accurate."
http://www.handgunsmag.com/rugers_guntalk/rugers_guntalk/

Acutually, that's putting it mildly. Many of those outlandish target pistols
have long barrels because it gives you more space between the front and rear
sight. But the ammo for those pistols is custom made to fit the barrel length.

After the round has conformed to the rifles and has a stable spin, the rest
of the barrel is a place where something can go wrong. The bullet can distort,
the powder can burn irregularly, the longer barrel is more prone to desposits
toward the muzzle which affect accuracy. The longer barrel will (generally)
mean greater velocity. But this can be good or bad. The added velocity will
exaggerate any irregularities in the bullet's motion.

Have you ever shot a black powder handgun? Try loading the shot with a half
a grain more or less powder in each direction. You will hit a load that is
amazingly accurate, and the others will go wild astray. Do the same with an
otherwise identical gun but with a different length barrel, and the same charge
of powder will not give the same results.

All in all, for accuracy's sake and using off the shelf ammo, a shorter
barrel will often be the more accurate. This difference is greater for the larger
calibres.