homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:43:19 EST

> >I also have a .22 pistol, with a 4.5" barrel. I love mine. I often
> carry it in a thigh holster. I'm 'dead on'-meaning I can put it in a 4"
> circle- at about 50 feet, but my barrel is shorter. ;)

Barrel length doesn't contribute much to accuracy.

First, a .22 round itself is a very accurate round, subject to far less
ballistic compromises than larger rounds.

The favorite of my .357's is a Taurus with a 3" barrel. Once an aficionado
sporting a S&W opined strongly that the (unusual) 8" barrel would be far more
accurate. We loaded up some (more or less) identical rounds and tested a
revolver with a 2 1/2" barrel, 3", 6", and that (unbalanced!) 8". The guns
were in
a vice. The difference in the accuracy was nil.

A longer barrel gave higher velocity, which can be good or bad.

James