homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:52:07 -0600

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> If I had to defend myself in any type of scenario that could possibly take
> place here on this mountainside, and right by the door I had a fully auto,
> fully loaded AK47 and my pump 12 ga., I'd pick up the shotgun in an instant.

Amen. If you need to stop a human who means you harm a .12 gauge will do that.

The only time I ever thought to reach for something else was shortly
after we moved here. We had had a break-in over Thanksgiving when both
of us were away, and the culprit had kicked in the back door. I was in
full relax mode in the tub reading -- this is true -- Ann Rule's
_Stranger Beside Me_. There was a horrible crash, and I was sure that
the back door was being kicked in again (we had no dogs at the time
for early alert).

I was out of the tub with the .457 in hand and standing at the head
of the stairs, dripping, in seconds. About that time it occurred to me
that I'd have to shoot whomever or leave him alive to report seeing me
naked and dripping.

Fortunately, it turned out that a shelf had collapsed....

The whole thing sort of ruined the relaxation of the bath.

Marie, who grew up with a loaded shotgun by the door in case of varmints