homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gun sales staggering
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:12:46 EST

> >I know nothing about guns, but what I saw on the news said that the
> biggest
> demand was for guns like AK47s. Isn't that an assault rifle? Do guns like

Yes, they make an inferior deer rifle. That's not why they are selling,
though. People buy into the mystic that they are big and bad if they have
one.

If I had to defend myself in any type of scenario that could possibly take
place here on this mountainside, and right by the door I had a fully auto,
fully loaded AK47 and my pump 12 ga., I'd pick up the shotgun in an instant.

Proper use of any firearm takes training and a cool head. Most of those bad
boys buying the AK47's are much more likely to shoot of their own foot than
effectively defend themselves.

If anyone has a limited home defense budget (if one at all), buy a few extra
boxes of .357 and 12 ga and get with a good instructor at a firing range.
That training has a great deal more to do with your survival than all the (so
called) assault rifles in the world. And the very first order of training is
how
to arrange things so you NEVER have to point a firearm at a human being in
your life.

James