homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:01:17 -0400

bob ford wrote:
Well I am confused Susan; I thought you were German? It's none of my
business, but I could have sworn that you said, once, that German was your
first language. Who malighns Germans? Well..........bobford

Hey, Bob! Not all German-speakers are German! Languages show up sometimes in what might be considered unexpected places, for instance Portuguese in Brazil.....German in Paraguay....Dutch in central Manitoba....Khmer in Minnesota.//.....VietNamese in South Carolina...... migration, migration, migration...

And it's not the language which drew/draws derision, it's the misunderstood people/group itself. I grew up in an Old Order German Baptist Brethren, Lediite group in west central Indiana. They spoke, still do, a form of German. They have been and often still are, the butt of many lousy laws, sordid minds, jokes, general ridicule, and who knows what else. I understand to the core discrimination and prejudice.... It is still "home" and they are still "my people", albeit I've been gone these many years.

Susan Jane, in Maine