homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:36:42 -0800

Some prejudices are created by fear and the fear is created by the people themselves. I know that as a child (3rd grade), we lived around the corner from a "holy roller" church (store front). They had Wednesday night meetings there and it was frightening. My little sister and I would be in bed and our window opened on the back. Great for hearing the screaming and hollering. I was 8 and she was 4. Then one night a couple of us kids snuck out and went down the alley (ran behind the houses) to see what the noise was and that was even more frightening .

Now, I'm one who has easily outgrown my childhood fears but a whole lot of people don't.

As to German, youngest is learning it now and says it makes less sense and is a bigger pain in the arse than English ever thought of being. Her favorite example of dumb language rules is that in German nouns have gender applied -- masculine, feminine and neuter (go figure) AND girl (madchen, can't do an umlaut on this computer) is neuter.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be honest, I've never heard of the group in which you were raised. I will try to find some information on the web.

I guess maybe it is like pentecostals being made fun of and called 'holy rollers', etc. Or maybe ins some areas Amish are laughed at.

I've never understood that kind of prejudice. There are unusual tenants in practically every religion, worldview, etc. I have a friend that was raised in a very old but small swedish religion of which I had never heard (I can't remeber the name, it is some small branch of swedish Christianity)

p.s. I took german one semester in college (I remeber nothing, except that there are many similarities to english if you look closely). Very mean professor, everyone called "frau b*tch" ......bobford