homestead - [Homestead] It's the wrong place

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] It's the wrong place
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:25:50 -0700

On Oct 23, 2008, at 9:58 PM, SJC wrote:

One of my kids has ever since he left
home lived, by choice, where there were few Caucasians and no native
English-speakers. He is now contemplating moving back to where more
folks are multilingual, and recently he noted that one of the stresses
of the past 20 years has been that wherever he's lived he's occasionally
wished for "somebody who thinks like I do" and when queried about that
comment a few months ago, it turns out to be that what he's missing is
the verbal expression of a value system, certain child-rearing practices
he doesn't see where he is/has been, other things that basically to him
say "home", "my people"......

So it seems a natural thing to me to want to be with one's "own kind of
people".

The biggest mistake people make when choosing a country place is not checking out the nature of the community. They buy the property, move there, try to find compatible friends, try to get people to do things like where they came from, then sell and move again.

The notable Nearings are an illustrious example. They never fit in Vermont.