homestead - Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Newsweek -- "A one point race" ?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:12:57 -0400

bob ford wrote:

I live in a city with a lot of Mexican immigrants. At least here,
Mexicans are very prejudiced against black people. I just don't see
the majority of Mexicans voting for a black man , unless they feel
there will be a big payoff.

Here, too!! I don't understand why either.

Black people make up about 12 % of our population, they will vote
almost 100% for Obama.

http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html

That was from 2000. Since that time, Atlanta population has grown tremendously, with many blacks from the northern states returning to the South. Atlanta is about 98% black. Note that a larger area of the US has practically zero black people. The high percentage of blacks in the South bring the average to 12%.
I recall the first time I went out West. I think I was in downtown Denver. Something did not feel right, and I couldn't put my finger on what made me so uncomfortable. Then, I realized...I did not see any black people there! I started looking around...no blacks to be found! In later years, I noticed the same thing about the inner cities of Portland and Seattle. I am used to seeing blacks everywhere in my daily life, and then not to see any....weird...
I honestly don't see how, if blacks vote for Obama 100%, Georgia will go for McCain.

I just don't see people in my life experience (which is quite diverse
and varied) voting for Obama in the numbers the polls show. But,
when I see crowds like the other day in Missouri, it really almost
seems like old time Billy Grham revivals, pulling in everyone to
share the moment.

The folks on my loop are all going to vote at 10 AM, there will be coffee and doughnuts afterwards. It is the Rock Creek version of "Get out the vote!"

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda