homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's the wrong place

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's the wrong place
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:06:54 -0400

> > One of my kids has ever since he left
> > home lived, by choice, where there were few Caucasians and no native
> > English-speakers.

My oldest son lived in the Chez Republic for 18 mos then liver in Thailand
for 2 1/2 years. He enjoyed his time there but missed many familiar things.
He came back to go to school and has given thoughts to returning.

My brother lives in Saipan on the Northern Marianas Islands. He has been
there about 7 years now. He likes the island and will stay as long as he
can but things are not all that good there. Normalization of trade
worldwide killed the garment industry while the rising cost of oil has made
everything more expensive. He is in a constant battle to keep his job
against a continuous tide of locals looking for another place to park a
nephew. He has commented several times that at least in the states the
idiot at the hardware store can at least express his ignorance in English.
He hopes to stay but figures this is his last year.

Don Bowen KI6DIU