homestead - Re: [Homestead] List politics

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] List politics
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:32:30 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
......That said, I've become a very cynical person of late. ......
........I hope my vote truly counts. But with persistent voting machine
problems,
with thousands of people having been purged who won't learn they have until
too late and the myriad of other problems surrounding the vote, the whole
thing makes me suspicious and cynical, like voting is a ritual we do because
we wish to exercise that Right, when mostly I'm starting to think the whole
act of voting for President is a drama played every four years because we
expect as much......
I realized recently that I too am maybe more cynical than anything else. The first time I felt that was near the end of the last election, and this time it's really sinking in.

It's a sorry thing to contemplate, and leaves one feeling powerless. I don't mind not having power as an individual but when we as a people are powerless it's a whole 'nother ball game, and recently I feel apathy and bitterness trying to edge their way in.....not usually my response to much of anything. I think we are all going to need plenty of strength in the times coming up, can't waste time/energy where they don't count, but it's getting harder and harder to see where that is.

Susan Jane, in Maine