homestead - Re: [Homestead] List politics

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] List politics
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:00:46 -0400

EarthNSky wrote:
Pro Posters: Gene, Rob, Rob, Marie, Don, Lisa, Moon, Jerry, Susan Jane,
Hey, you putting words in my mouth?
I do not recall saying I am, or was, pro-Obama. I am strongly anti-McCain, no doubt of that. It's my opinion that he's no hero; in fact, I consider the man a sociopath, based on personal, longstanding knowledge, but that doesn't mean I'm pro anybody, simply that I think McCain is a dangerous alternative. Not liking one candidate doesn't mean I necessarily like another. So far the best thing I can say about Obama is that he knows how to give a good speech. Not interview, speech.

For the record, the only one I am actually "pro" in this election is Mike Michaud, a hardworking Mainer (Democrat, French Canadian Catholic, of all things) who struggles (as near as I can see, anyway, and Maine is a 'small' state) to do what is right for the masses and has the guts to hold his ground. He will get my vote.

For instance, his comment on the 'bailout bill' was thus, partially: "In the end, Congress did little to change the original White House plan. Instead, leaders in Congress backed a proposal that asked the American taxpayer, who did nothing to contribute to the current credit crunch, to shoulder the burden of the credit crisis by forking over hundreds of billions of dollars to bailout Wall Street firms who got us into this mess in the first place. Congress then actually compounded the failures of the Administration's handling of this crisis by not allowing amendments on one of the most significant bills ever voted on in the history of the Congress." and his summary of his actions: "In my heart, I hope that it works. But I cannot place my principles on a shelf, hold my nose and vote for such a fundamentally flawed piece of legislation.".

Now, if someone can find me another with his willingness to work hard and do what is right (I'd certainly welcome that, but they seem to be few and far between, sadly), I'll be "pro" him/her, too, but until then I simply comment as I see it. Doesn't mean I'm right, or wrong, or pro, or con. Means I'm making a comment for consideration, or responding to one someone else made.

Also, for the record, I think Gene has the right idea: barring anything in the way of it, vote against the incumbent person/party, and in this case, I shall do just that. In this case, it means just that: no more of the same ol'........... Really doesn't have a lot to do with Obama.

So if you just want to poke fun, or whatever, have at it, but please don't present your opinion about someone else's belief as accurate unless you qualify it as a joke/whatever. In other words, from my point of view, you are welcome to believe anything you like about my ideas, but please don't present your opinions as my truth.

Also, you say ".......posts are just as irritating to some people as the Anti-Obama posts are to........". Well, that makes me think for a minute.
I see and read every day, not only on this list, but in many places, things that are in direct opposition to my thoughts, feelings, beliefs. It doesn't occur to me to be irritated. Of course people think different things. That's what they do; each of us IS different, with different backgrounds and experiences, whatever. I'm a just curious person, and find the very interchange of ideas to be of interest to me, regardless of another's viewpoint. While I am sometimes concerned that someone close to me (my child, a couple of my close friends) share 'my' way and I theirs, the rest I see and hear, consider, accept, reject, put in 'more research' category, or whatever, but I guess it never occurred to me to be irritated by such. Life is too short, for one thing. You'll have an ulcer in no time! Or I would have, at any rate.
Back to my applesauce, then on to the pear butter, and company the next few days from New York City, always fun.

Susan Jane, registered Independent for many years and still independent