homestead - Re: [Homestead] List politics

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] List politics
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:12:52 -0400

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > Pro Posters: Gene, Rob, Rob, Marie, Don, Lisa, Moon, Jerry, Susan Jane,
>
> I'm not sure how pro Obama I am. I'm sure not dead set against him.
> When the race started, I said that I could stomach either one of them.
> I also don't sit idle when some of the spam emails that are blatantly
> false are sent to this group. I've gotten heat for that.

Rob - Va

I'm going to join in and say Ditto.

I'm not wild about O. but don't dislike him. I also live in Virginia, it's a
state where the election is hotly contested and supposedly a 'swing' state,
so don't want to vote for an Independent or Ron Paul to make a point. The
race is too close for that here and I don't want another Republican. That
much is definitely spot on.

That said, I've become a very cynical person of late. A too-long primary
contest to find a Dem., followed by several months of what we've experienced
since O. was picked have added to my cynicism. I have been a Dem. except for
when I was 18 and voted my first time for an Independent (Anderson) in 1980.
Still, even though I've been a Democrat for the years since, and there are
some stark differences between O. and M., I'm mostly fed up with how I'm
beginning to believe that whomever wins is controlled by Big Brother in the
background and we've gone light years from We, the People to Big Brother.

I hope my vote truly counts. But with persistent voting machine problems,
with thousands of people having been purged who won't learn they have until
too late and the myriad of other problems surrounding the vote, the whole
thing makes me suspicious and cynical, like voting is a ritual we do because
we wish to exercise that Right, when mostly I'm starting to think the whole
act of voting for President is a drama played every four years because we
expect as much.

The next President may have already been chosen regardless what happens 11/4
(or after). How's that for cynicism?

And I haven't even had a cup of coffee (nor Irish Breakfast tea) yet, and
I'm still this cynical. It's not a great feeling, either.

Good morning.

Lisa
sw VA