homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:50:58 -0400

On 4/1/07, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/1/07, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Wondering aloud, do you all think if we heavily mulched now that it
would
> lessen the amount of bind weed? The stuff is so stubborn, I figure it
will
> occur no matter what I do or don't do, but perhaps mulch would help.

Bindweed is one of the handful of pests that make me consider Roundup.
Another one is star of bethlehem, which is currently taking over my
front yard. You can use it carefully and just paint leaves, and it
allegedly breaks down in the soil is a short time.

Hadn't thought of painting the leaves. Bindweed had heavily infiltrated
the raspberries and all but took over a two large butterfly bushes within
flower beds last season. I was afraid if I poured boiling water or broke
down and used glycophospate (thanks, Gene) that I'd kill what I wanted to
grow and bindweed would continue like nothing ever happened. So I pulled it
as I could, but as Don says, but I think that almost makes it worse. What
was that movie with the vine/plant that grew non-stop? Not Jack & the
Beanstalk. I think it was a play made into a movie w/ Steve Martin. Anyway,
I recall my Grandpa used to battle bindweed by almost every day pulling
every inch of bindweed within his sight. It took him at least three summers,
but he eventually won the battle. I'm not as persevering as my Grandpa was.
Once a week doesn't cut the mustard w/ bindweed.

I'm thrilled to no end to have the growing season upon us (after the killing
frosts the last three nights), but the thought of battling bindweed to save
the raspberries has me frustrated (and tired thinking of it) already.

We've ordered a truck load of mulch that shall be delivered soon.

Lisa