homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:24:54 -0700

try using a shovel to dig in clay 4' into
the ground
for more than 15 minutes at a time without someone spelling you off.

Four feet of clay! Wow. The only negative I see with that is drainage.

At Heartwood, the typical dig is one inch of soil and the rest of various-sized rocks from half-inch to eighteen inches.

The first garden fence, which became the outer fence of the chicken moat, was of cedar posts. It is highly likely that I will never set another wood post. Even driving steel T-posts can be a challenge necessitating withdrawing and moving to the side a bit.