homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:59:05 -0700

We made a decision that the rototiller will be used to shorten time and
effort on new and old garden beds. Next year we can turn them with a shovel
again.

I forgot to mention, when James wrote of digging, that I prefer using a digging fork--some call it a potato fork--the kind that has four heavy tines and typically a D handle. It goes in easier and lifts easier than a shovel, and integrates plant matter better. Of course, you of the younger backs set care little about effort, right? I also feel a fork treats the soil community with greater respect.