homestead - [Homestead] Digging, was Re: Mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Digging, was Re: Mulch
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:29:46 -0700

On Apr 1, 2007, at 1:19 PM, clhw wrote:

After years of observation, I have some conclusions about men and hole-digging.

If it is a construction site or utility work, there must be a minimum of
three men, and it is better to have five to dig one hole. One is the
supervisor with a hat on, preferrably standing over the hole looking down
with his fists on his hips or looking up at the pole. One to three men
standing around looking down in the hole, with at least one leaning on a
shovel. One lucky guy actually in the hole digging.

The age of specialization.

On my gas crews I was one of three if a normal crew, and five if a heavy crew. The laborer digs the hole, the welder affixes the new pipe or whatever is needed to connect a new service or extension or to repair a leak. The foreman does the paper work. If the welder takes pity on the laborer on July afternoons he may take a spell at the final digging. I liked digging so after I became a welder I was a hero to laborers.

The holes were called bell holes for the shape necessary for the welder to stand on his head and do the overhead welding. It is minimal fun when sweat steam clouds the goggles. Damned frustrating to have to turn off the torch, get oneself upright, clean the goggles and wipe the sweat, put the goggles back on, put the heavy gloves back on, relight the torch, get back on one's head and have at it again. That standing on one's head business sucks. Maybe that accounts for my years of neck pain.