homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:20:11 -0400

On 4/1/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> We made a decision that the rototiller will be used to shorten time
> and
> effort on new and old garden beds. Next year we can turn them with
> a shovel
> again.

I forgot to mention, when James wrote of digging, that I prefer using
a digging fork--some call it a potato fork--the kind that has four
heavy tines and typically a D handle. It goes in easier and lifts
easier than a shovel, and integrates plant matter better. Of course,
you of the younger backs set care little about effort, right? I also
feel a fork treats the soil community with greater respect.

That's what we've used and what I meant. But not this year, anything to save
time and energy is what we're going to do. We're probably paying someone to
prune the "orchard" next spring, either that or get friends to help prune
who want to share the fruit. That might be a working solution. After pruning
the trees this year, hubby was ready to put this place on the market.

Lisa

Lisa