homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:13:19 -0400

A hearty YES! All those memories of different things tried and learned
along the way - the stuff of folk who don't need to "get a life" ;)
I remember how clever it seemed, (and later humbling) to take my paths,
cover with cardboard and bark chips from one of the local saw/pallet
mills. I was going to finally have 10 of my bed's paths WEED FREE! Yeah
- tell that to the many, many wasps who found living under curved bark
pieces to be living the fine life!! I couldn't walk down those paths w/o
gazing intently at the ground in fear of stirring up those darlings.
That year, a big red one stung me atop my scalp and turned me into a
Klingon Bride for 5 days. No going in public for me for that time,
hee-hee.
So many things learned. Now, i know which weeds need attending to by
their seeding time of catching the roots at the just right depth,
slowness of pulling, and soil moisture level. Egads!

Gene, i also have wide paths full of pulled weeds. Dandylions and wild
onions are my most prolific problems in my 46ish beds. So many on my
reading lists have told me to love the Blessed Dandylions - so cheery, so
healthful and delicious. THEY have not seen the thousands upon thousands
of them i need to learn to love! I, too thought they were cute and
useful when i was a "yardener" and didn't have my acre plus of food and
flowers.
Right now, the mowed fields are covered with violets and dandylions in
bloom - and it is indeed cheery.
Toni - back to it and away from the pc!

Gene said,
Most who have gardened for a long time have developed a tolerance for a
certain
weed level. As the years pass we become more clever but also more
accepting of imperfection. This is revealed to you by a recovering
perfectionist.