homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:43:35 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

For space that will be conditioned I would always use at least two by sixes. By the way, I have recently been working my way through my old Fine Homebuilding magazines and reread the article by Canadian engineer Joe Lstiburek, the guy who is given credit for air-tight design, and in that article he shows how studs on twenty-four inch spacing plus using a single top plate and single header over doors and windows is sound construction and saves money and time.

Yep, insulation insulates better than studs. One thing you didn't mention and I'm sure Mr. Lstiburek knows, is to make sure to line up all joists and rafters as close as possible with the wall studs. If using a 2-foot spacing for studs, you shouldn't install the ceiling or floor joists at 16 inches, etc.

This is where codes come into play.