homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:48:02 -0800

At 12/2/2006, you wrote:
I have lots of thoughts about this but I won't bore
the group with all of them, at least not now.

Bore away, I am looking for information.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.
From don.bowen AT earthlink.net Sat Dec 2 17:54:31 2006
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:53:40 -0800
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

At 12/2/2006, you wrote:
Conventional construction. Perhaps poured concrete
floor, concrete block wall, truss roof. To be easy
that would require concrete from reddy mix, and
trusses that come from the factory.

One method uses what is called SBC or Surface Bonding Concrete. Regular concrete blocks are used. The first course is set in mortar to insure level. Remainder are just dry stacked with vertical rebar about every 4 feet. Then the outside and inside surfaces are finished with a coating of SBC and the holes are filled with concrete.

Offhand straw bale wouldn't seem to be that labor
intensive. Sort of like building a brick wall with
only a tenth of the number of bricks. Or is this due
to the need to stucco inside and out?

It seems to me that stacking is not the problem. The stucco requires a waterproof layer, structural element then three layers. There is a lot of work there. SBC only requires a single layer on both sides.

A structure built like a pole barn might be the simple
construction though finishing it might offset the
simple construction.

It is not so much a mater of simple but being able to be completed by a single person.

This thread is generating some new things for me and I will summarize then when it plays out.