homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:56:37 -0800 (PST)

One thing that might make the process easier no matter
what construction method, is to design so that you can
build in stages.

I spend a lot of time thinking of plans and
construction materials, I enjoy that more than
watching TV. One of these designs is sort of a
British cottage. Perhaps only one room wide maybe
with ells as it grows. one end would be under
construction while the other is lived in. Might not
cut down on the total work load but would certainly be
less of an inconvenience.

Another possible plan a round design, a little bit
like a yurt but with glass walls. Roof cone shaped
with pole rafters cut from our woods. Wall supports
poles with glass in between. For this, or another
design floor could be brick layed on sand or morter
base with hot water coils in the floor to carry hot
water from an outside wood furnace.

I mentioned earlier moving a house onto our land.
That will be my son's house. For Sue and I I'm tying
to get absentee owners to sell that beautiful brick
craftsman so we can move it. If that doesn't work
then I plan to build using as much material as I can
from our land.

Van Dell