homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:56:38 EST

> >Don's question is what is easiest. I think the answer is qualified by
> >the skill of the builder. Masonry, carpentry, finish carpentry,
> >roofing, stuccoing, plastering, and the rest are all easy for those
> >with large experience but hard for novices.

Yes, but I understood the question to not be academic nor rhetorical, but
that Don is going to really build the house. Don is no novice around wood.

I built my house 99.9% solo. Denise was the only significant helper but
predisposed being the mother of infants at the time. It's built much as a
frame
house but using rough sawn timbers rather than commercial dimensioned lumber.

Sometimes the rough sawing was really rough and the hand plane was used to
shape many a structural piece.

The construction was accomplished using a system of 'dead men' and a lot of
patience. While doing the roof structure, I could build one truss 'in situ'
in
a day.

I don't altogether recommend the method of building nor necessarily doing it
solo. It has advantages and disadvantages. The chief disadvantage is that
it
took a long time, the chief advantage was that when the door was shut for the
first time, it was paid for. But I just mention it to show what *can* be
done.