homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 23:31:57 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

Yeah, for solo building lower is far safer and easier. For my next project after the metal shop building I will likely use an Amish crew to frame and sheath the level above the wood shop below. Did I mention that I don't do well with heights? Falling is how I died last time and I have still not worked my way through it.

I'm right there with ya on that one, Gene. I must have fallen, too. I have real trouble on a 6 foot stepladder, and you may have noticed in the pics I sent you that RON was on the coop roof, not me. :)
This list needs a spot for photo display, I think.

Same with drywall, pain in the butt for one man without a jack, especially ceilings.

I sheetrocked one house. It was my first and last.

Sheetrock jacks are worth their weight in gold, IMO. We rocked a bonus room at the old house...what a nightmare. We finally rented a sheetrock jack, and it was like, THE best thing, almost indispensable for the angled ceiling. Even with the jack, sheetrocking would be tough as a one man operation; it'd be very time consuming...

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky