homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bartermn AT epix.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:35:15 -0600

Easiest would seem to be buy a place and remodel it. :)

I think Keith is correct. The question is final quality. I have been rebuilding, remodeling, redoing, and adding onto the Heartwood shack for about thirty years but Chris and I have decided that we will spend no more money on it because if we live long enough it will come down and be replaced.

Some houses are not worth remodeling. We love our old shack but it mostly sits on a stone foundation with no footing, nothing is level, and, worst, the ceilings are at seven feet.

Don's question is what is easiest. I think the answer is qualified by the skill of the builder. Masonry, carpentry, finish carpentry, roofing, stuccoing, plastering, and the rest are all easy for those with large experience but hard for novices.

If starting from dirt, in general and figuring average skills, I think easiest is slab foundation, stick-frame walls, roof trusses, scored plywood exterior sheathing/finish, sheetrock inside. Finish such as kitchen cabinetry has essentially unlimited parameters depending on the skill of the builder. I lean to open shelves.