homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 20:10:39 -0800 (PST)

I've wondered if rammed earth could be done this way:
using a front end loader on tractor to put material
into a mixer then an auger to carry the material up to
the form work and a mechanical vibrator the compact.

--- Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> Many construction methods appear to be labor
> intensive...... rammed earth........

I have made a storage building out of pallets. was
very sturdy and it could be adapted to a larger
building. To do that you need to be near some place
that does not recycle their pallets, not hard to find
in urban area but I don't know about rural areas.
Walls would go up quickly because it is fastening 40"
x 40" units. Once up the walls would be somewhat like
stick framing and could be covered with appropriate
siding and sheet rock. I could do that here as there
is no building codes, but probably can't be used where
there are codes.

One way to make any construction simpler and easier is
to do it where there are no codes.

Van Dell