homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:59:32 -0800

At 12/2/2006, you wrote:
Don's question is what is easiest. I think the answer is qualified by
the skill of the builder. Masonry, carpentry, finish carpentry,
roofing, stuccoing, plastering, and the rest are all easy for those
with large experience but hard for novices.

Easiest is perhaps the wrong word but it will have to do. Another qualifier could be cheapest. Remodeling an existing structure is an easy way to go but as Gene says when does it become easier to just start all over. I lost my front teeth from a sledge hammer blow when I was around 10. My father driving 2 bys under a house that was built in 1910 to level a corner. The sledge slipped and as I was holding things my face was in the way.

Older houses often have substandard wiring and plumbing. Single pane windows, no vapor barrier, and minimal insulation do not do well in today's expensive energy world. I friend in Spokane lived in a house built in the late 40s with sawdust as insulation. Over the years it settled and a leak in one corner made a mess. To fix it he had to completely strip the siding off one corner (dry rot from the leak) which soon became a job of where do you stop? The remainder of the walls had to have holes drilled near the top and foam sprayed in. In the end he felt we should have stripped the interior completely and installed modern insulation. That way he could have u[graded the electrical to handle computers and a modern sound system.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.