homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:09:08 -0700

Nice. So you dig a footer trench and just pour it level? Or do you use forms?

I am thinking of using two by eights as forms right on the ground recently excavated with the backhoe. Very solid stuff, clay and rock of all sizes, and by the time I do the forms it will have had about three hundred backhoe movement packings. After the building is built I will lay down four inches of gravel, then pour my concrete sections on top of that. So the finished floor will be eight inches above the soil. Of course I will also slope the surrounding area to cause rain water to move away from the building. So far, besides moving a huge amount of material, the biggest challenge is getting the site level.