homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bartermn AT epix.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 09:40:15 -0700

Cheapest and easiest for one man, or "How I built my barn," Pole
building, no doubt about it. Rough-cut 2x lumber spiked to treated posts
with board and batt siding, cut rafters, steel roofing over 1x boards.

I am not sold on treated posts. I recently moved a bell post, a four-by-four CCA post embedded about thirty inches into the ground. It had been in the ground for about twelve years. It was rotten. As I recall, CCA was sold on the promise of 30-year life. CCA has of course been outlawed. The treated posts now being sold in my area are not guaranteed.

My current project is a pole barn sheathed and roofed with metal. To avoid treated posts, I will pour a reinforced grade beam with anchor bolts, bolt a plate to that and secure untreated posts to the plate.