homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:38:09 -0800

Wellllllll, let me preface this by saying that I spent quite a few years
working in hospitals and have family that works in hospitals across the U.S.
You can't mandate prenatal health care. If you remove the drug babies and
the teenage pregnancies and other folks that don't seek health care even
though they qualify for sliding scale clinics or Medicaide, the infant
mortality rate would be more intune with the countries you listed. The U.S.
has the highest rate of drug babies, the highest rate of teen pregnancies
and the highest rate of women not seeking prenatal care and it isn't because
the health care services aren't available.

I also think that part of it is the loose of the nuclear family. In other
countries you have mom and grandmom and aunties and even great-grandmom
caring for the young mother. Pregnancy is a family celebration.

Lynda