homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:35:08 -0700

Anyone have the ranking of what the different countries spend on health care? We may be #42 on the infant mortality chart but I'll bet we are close to #1 on the dollars spent... Pay for a first class system and get a 42nd...

Health Care Spending: Large Differences, Unequal Results

Global inequality in health care spending is large. As the chart of health care spending per person shows (below), the countries in the highest quintile (20%) spend more than 16 times the amount spent by the lowest quintile. The highest 5% of the countries spend 4492% of the lowest quintile. This is after adjusting the per capita spending rates to international dollars (to account for Purchasing Power Parity), and includes both government and personal expenditures
Money Alone Does Not Extend Lives

Despite the wide gaps, higher spending on health care does not necessarily prolong lives. In 2000, theUnited States spent more on health care than any other country in the world: an average of $ 4,500 per person. Switzerland was second highest, at $3,300 or 71% of the US. Nevertheless, average US life expectancy ranks 27th in the world, at 77 years. Many countries achieve higher life expectancy rates with significantly lower spending. The chart below shows the top 30 countries in the world ranked by life expectancy. The red line indicates per-capita health expenditure (right axis), and shows that many countries outperform the US with approximately half the spending.

Charts and more at:
http://ucatlas.ucsc.edu/spend.php