homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:47:59 -0800

At 1/12/2005 07:37 AM, you wrote:

Yes, Cuba's. Babies are less likely to survive in America, with a health care system that we think is the best in the world, than in impoverished and autocratic Cuba. According to the latest C.I.A. World Factbook, Cuba is one of 41 countries that have better infant mortality rates than the U.S.
But in 2002, it got worse: 7 babies died for each thousand live births, while that rate was 6.8 deaths the year before.
It's simply unacceptable that the average baby is less likely to survive in the U.S. than in Beijing or Havana.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/12/opinion/12kris.html?oref=login

Since the 2000 election our govt has supported corporate profit over anything & everything.
After the 2004 election when the administration won a 'mandate' with it's almost 30% of the available votes I wouldn't expect anything to get better for the folks who do not own corporate stock.

Anyone have the ranking of what the different countries spend on health care? We may be #42 on the infant mortality chart but I'll bet we are close to #1 on the dollars spent... Pay for a first class system and get a 42nd...

Rob
becidawa AT hctc.com
Now in western Washington, USA

When Benjamin Franklin was leaving Constitution Hall, the gathered crowds
wanted to know what kind of government the framers of the Constitution had
given them. His reply: "A Republic, if you can keep it."