homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:22:04 -0800

I would say a good % of the problem is prenatal care or lack thereof. And
what I call the Staples mentality (ya know the commercial where the mother
is sooooo happy the kids are going back to school).

At the one hospital I worked at, a large % of the employees would go up to
the NCI during breaks and lunch hours and hold babies because their mothers
never showed up. the mortality rate at the hospital was reduced when they
instigated the program of "Hugs and Love."

Of course, there isn't much one can do when one of the leading causes of
death before 1 year of age is murder. that is waaayyyyyy down the list in
other countries!

Lynda