homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our shameful infant mortality rate
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:15:58 -0700

You can't mandate prenatal health care. If you remove the drug babies and
the teenage pregnancies and other folks that don't seek health care even
though they qualify for sliding scale clinics or Medicaide, the infant
mortality rate would be more intune with the countries you listed.

Yes, as I was reading the article I wondered how much drugs play a part in infant mortality rates as well as other non-fatal infant health problems. Our heavy drug use by poor pregnant women is yet another area where we have failed. Poverty and ill health are conjoined. As long as we fail to effectively deal with both we will have inferior American health and quality of life status among the world's presumably lesser countries.