ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:59:13 -0500

Ryko used to do label comp freebies, too, didn't they? And Record Exchange (remember them?) used to do their own in-house comps that they gave away or sold extra-cheap with-purchase.

And of course any college radio station older than 30 years or so has a bunch of those crazy Warner Bros. "loss leader" label comps on vinyl--I came across a copy of "The Big Red Ball" at Thrift World the other day. I loved the fact that they stuck all the "weird" bands (GTOs, Beefheart, Zappa, Wild Man Fischer, Ed Sanders) onto Side 4 together. I loved the fact even more that all those bands were on the same label with Joni Mitchell and James Taylor & Neil Young, back in the early 70s.

I like Chaz's idea of the leave-one/take-one mix-CD bin at his store. I don't have that kinda time (or at least not much of it), but at the risk of attracting the wrong kind of attention, I *do* have my weekly local-music radio show available as a [n ogg-vorbis based] podcast here: http://www.trianglerock.com/audio/

If you use the right combination of RSS/podcast software, you should get both a 2-hour OGG file *and* a track listing from that RSS file. One of these days I'll redo that script so it puts the current week's tracklisting on the actual index webpage as well. Not today, though.

xo

Ross

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:

I would say rather than bars, there should be a CD given out in the pit.

Actually, I think a better idea would be to make local music
compilation and give a bunch to the cool record stores and have them
give it personally to each person who buys a 'decent' CD. There are
tons of student who aren't interested in music period, so this way
would better focus on the target market ("hey, you like Broken Social
Scene, check out these local bands.") Plus, it would be seen as
incentive to buy from the local store. A win/win/win for all involved
(bands/store/consumer.) Heck, I want in on that - include a coupon to
see any band on the CD free at local 506...another win!

Oddly enough, this is the idea that got Mac and I emailng about the
Best Buy CDs (on a different thread.) Years ago, I told him that Merge
should include a label compilation with all the Merge CDs, suggesting
that the target market for, say, Portastatic, are the Spoon fans. Of
course, he dismissed the idea. Well, just last week at Best Buy, I
bought the Atmosphere CD - and it included a second CD sampler for the
label Rhymesayers. Someone gets it!

glenn