ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:45:52 -0500

Well, keep in mind that the bands have generally all already ponied up, as you say, for the studio time to record the songs you're gonna put on this free-giveaway comp. To be in a local band around here is almost never a moneymaking proposition, once you factor in everything (practice space, gear, gas to shows, recording, promotion, blah blah blah). It's a hobby, and most everybody willingly pays the toll, whatever it is, but it's for that very reason that so many local bands seem so ambivalent about self-promotion. They just wanna rock out & have a good time, and sometimes the idea of 100 strangers watching you do it can actually be a disincentive.

Some of them may/do certainly want to spend a little to help put out comps (there have been collectively-released comps in the past, as well as one-off CD-Rs to promote shows--John Harrison of North Elementary was on a roll with those last year, though I haven't seen any of his handiwork lately), but it may be reaching to assume that bands should feel obligated to donate a song *and* kick in some cash to press/burn the things. Many/most do plenty of that sort of thing already (there's a poll question: how many local releases of the past 5 years broke even or made money?).

I like magazines with free CDs of the bands inside. It's kewl to be able to read somebody ranting/raving about a band & then be able to hear what they're talking about with a minimum of effort.

Hey, would you look at that, the Raleigh Hatchet is down with the program: http://www.raleighhatchet.com/

"Hey Bands! check back soon for information on submitting songs to be considered for the first Hatchet Music Sampler CD. "

I betcha they wouldn't mind some free reliable volunteer help over at the Hatchet . . . .

Ross

Jeremy Blair wrote:
The bands on the disc definitely have a vested interest, I'd say they could
pony up, who else could be leaned on to sponsor a project like this? Suppose
the local labels would get behind it? Labels can't sign a band that doesn't
have a loyal following, so helping nurture the local scene helps them in the
long run. And omg I use the term "scene" ever so humbly, plz don't flame me
tyvm.