ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ken M" <snz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues
  • Date: 30 Jan 2006 11:22:44 -0800

1. I didn't say don't go on Thursday or other nights. They do have
music on other nights, but I don't know anything about it. And, yes,
Tuesday is not the best night to try to start a local music thing. But
neither is Sunday, and the Cradle used to get all kinds of people to x
bands, x bucks.

2. It is a private club. Last week, they DID let in young people...
don't know if they always do or not. And c'mon, get a fake ID
already, kids.

3. The b-sides were more popular among young people/students, but they
took their audience from high school to college... in other words, UNC
was seeded with their fans from high school. We'd go play in the quad
and there'd be 10 cool friends hanging out immediately, and since
crowds draw crowds, we got lucky and added to our base. So maybe I
didn't notice the divide bet. student audience vs. town audience.

We released our CD around Sept 11th, so our problems were the same that
other bands experienced at that point.. getting anyone of any age to
come to a show. Many people stopped going out, at least for a while.
As lonely as the bar in Chapel Hill may seem at times, I saw the
problem was way worse in other towns. I guess what I'm saying is when
you are in the band, it's sometimes hard to get perspective. Problems
that I saw nationally were echoed here. Plus, I didn't expect Zippers
fans to be b-sides fans, so a wasn't surprised when few people I knew
came to our shows.