ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: john <jphono1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:09:38 -0800 (PST)

Funny thing Ross...there's one in the mail as of yesterday for wxdu and wxyc
for the Cave show this Friday (a bit late i know). They are currently at
the counters of both schoolkids and cd alley in chapel hill as well...just a
cdr in a paper sleeve with a sticker of the show date on them.

whoa..it's been a while since i posted
cheers
john

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote: Well, keep in mind that the bands have
generally all already ponied up,
as you say, for the studio time to record the songs you're gonna put on
this free-giveaway comp. To be in a local band around here is almost
never a moneymaking proposition, once you factor in everything (practice
space, gear, gas to shows, recording, promotion, blah blah blah). It's a
hobby, and most everybody willingly pays the toll, whatever it is, but
it's for that very reason that so many local bands seem so ambivalent
about self-promotion. They just wanna rock out & have a good time, and
sometimes the idea of 100 strangers watching you do it can actually be a
disincentive.

Some of them may/do certainly want to spend a little to help put out
comps (there have been collectively-released comps in the past, as well
as one-off CD-Rs to promote shows--John Harrison of North Elementary was
on a roll with those last year, though I haven't seen any of his
handiwork lately), but it may be reaching to assume that bands should
feel obligated to donate a song *and* kick in some cash to press/burn
the things. Many/most do plenty of that sort of thing already (there's a
poll question: how many local releases of the past 5 years broke even or
made money?).

I like magazines with free CDs of the bands inside. It's kewl to be able
to read somebody ranting/raving about a band & then be able to hear what
they're talking about with a minimum of effort.

Hey, would you look at that, the Raleigh Hatchet is down with the
program: http://www.raleighhatchet.com/

"Hey Bands! check back soon for information on submitting songs to be
considered for the first Hatchet Music Sampler CD. "

I betcha they wouldn't mind some free reliable volunteer help over at
the Hatchet . . . .

Ross

Jeremy Blair wrote:
> The bands on the disc definitely have a vested interest, I'd say they could
> pony up, who else could be leaned on to sponsor a project like this? Suppose
> the local labels would get behind it? Labels can't sign a band that doesn't
> have a loyal following, so helping nurture the local scene helps them in the
> long run. And omg I use the term "scene" ever so humbly, plz don't flame me
> tyvm.
>

> On 1/31/06, Ben Davis wrote:
>> ya
>> I always say to people outside of the area that there has to be like 2
>> to 300 bands playing around right now -
>>
>> and I usually am not even counting metal or bluegrass bands in that
>> figure - which adds a whole other dimension -
>>

>> grady wrote:
>>> A bajillion?
>>>
>>> I have been somewhat slack at moving inactive bands into inactive status
>>> on my website, so I can't do a quickie database count & let you know
>>> that way (although this does act as a nudge for me to go through & do
>>> some cleanup in that area). Plus I have also been remiss at adding new
>>> bands, at least according to those bands that keep emailing me to let me
>>> know that.
>>>
>>> Here's a random metric for you, though: In 2005 WXDU playlisted at least
>>> 70 local releases, including several comps which featured bands who
>>> didn't manage to otherwise release anything. We received probably at
>>> least that many more (from all across NC) which didn't make playlist,
>>> due to nobody liking them well enough. (note: if your band's CD didn't
>>> get playlisted at WXDU in 2005, it might also be because it got lost in
>>> the mail; Duke's mail system is fucked up.)
>>>
>>> We probably actually playlisted closer to 80, but my recordkeeping kinda
>>> blows in that area, which is also why I don't have a 2005 best-of list.
>>>
>>> There are at least another 50-100 local bands who didn't manage to
>>> release anything in 2005 (like yours, for instance, right?).
>>>
>>> If I can crunch some numbers, I might be able to give you a half-assed
>>> stab at the number of local bands who gigged locally in 2005, but it
>>> would take more time than I have at this instant. We'll see if work
>>> slacks later in the week.
>>>
>>> xo
>>>
>>> Ross

>> *straight
>> were.

>>> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

"A day without sunshine...is night" -steve martin

Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.