ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}
  • Date: 31 Jan 2006 14:54:20 -0800

>>>but it may be reaching to assume that bands should feel obligated to
>>>donate a song *and* kick in some cash to press/burn the things

First of all, this all sprung from my idea of advertising the CD -
which would cost money. Remove that from the equation and this thing
could be super cheap to do. Take existing recordings, which is already
a sunk cost, and just burn'em on blank discs with relatively generic
b&w artwork; heck, maybe the record store would kick in a quarter for
each sell it helps generate as that's about all it would cost.

But yes, that's one of the things frustrating about the local music
community. Bands go to all this trouble to record a solid album, but
then spend little to actually market it. I mean, it doesn't matter if
Paulson records it and the Kitchen masters it if no on hears it.

The one thing I hear from a lot of bands is a complaint about
distribution. But why have it distributed outside of this area?
Distribution is basically set up to meet demand - if there is no
demand, there is no need for stores to carry your CD. Demand must be
created first..and that costs money. Believe me, most record labels
spend way more on marketing a CD than recording it.

glenn