ch-scene - Re: Rhapsody for Macs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhapsody for Macs
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:36:12 -0800 (PST)

re: broken JHymn in iTunes 6.0

That's a real problem with iTunes also: each of the
frequent upgrades breaks things (especially Ogg Vorbis
plugins). I'm fairly certain a lot of this is
intentional on Apple's part.

As for the burn-then-rip method, creating a permanent
plastic monument to the DRM is wasteful, though I know
it's easy. I hate generating something I'm going to
throw away just so I can change the format of my
incorporeal music.

A few iTunes iterations ago you could use Toast and
convert your AACs to AIFFs in preparation for burning
a CD and then rip from that without actually burning
the thing. There's undoubtedly an equivalent method
right now, but I don't care to look for it.

The other thing of note in all of this: I like record
stores. I like browsing in them. If I don't buy things
in them then they all eventually go away. I also don't
use Amazon and I stayed away from Netflix until I
moved to a place an hour away from the nearest
independent video store.

Nate