ch-scene - Re: Rhapsody for Macs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhapsody for Macs
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:34:29 -0500

Chris Calloway wrote:
Il Rossi:
The thing to keep in mind for your neice, though, is if she is like
most
children she probably wants major label music which she isn't going
to find on emusic. Or I don't know. Maybe she's way cooler at 9
than anybody I knew back then. Would she be into the Dischord
catalog?

this is my reason for asking. she's eleven now. she lives out in
nowhere, nc where they only things she gets exposed to by chance are
things that are probably going to cause permanent brain damage if it
keeps up. her tastes land anywhere between toby keith, green day/good
charlotte, and whatever is being pushed by the disney channel xm
station. her cultural influences are already starting to inflict an
if-i-have-to-think-about-it-then-it's-too-much-effort attitude where
she used to be incredibly curious about things as recently as two
years ago. maybe i'm making a big deal out of nothing. i suppose my
parents felt the same way when all i wanted were beatles records. the
toby keith thing really bothers me, though.

sometimes they grow out of that. sometimes they don't. an emusic subscription certainly couldn't hurt. she might not use it. but maybe she would. she could turn into whatever the 2010s version of a punk rock chick is going to be.

i kind of wish i didn't know toby keith existed.

chris