baslinux - Re: [BL] DVD player (was: 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DVD player (was: 2001 Gateway 300S PRB PC)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:57:32 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:21:29 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> I view DVDs at 800x600 resolution under X, or use svga or vesa modes,
> >> with mplayer.
> >
> > Sindi, you have caught my attention. :)
> >
> > I have tried to play DVDs on my other machine (good one, fast with 1
> > GB RAM, - that sort of thing), but I have been unable to play more than
> > the odd short intro. :(
>
> mplayer -ao oss -vo vesa (or svga) dvd://1

Thanks for that. I got one of my (bought and paid for) DVDs to run under
mplayer.
But not the others.

> Or start x then -vo x11, or put one of the -vo's in /root/.mplayer/config
> as vo vesa (no -).
>
> I think if you start at 1 it continues to the end. You can forward past
> any junk, unlike on a DVD player.
>
> You could try dvd://2 or 1-5 for more tracks.

I actually had to try each track number in turn - not every track
actually runs.

> I use BL2.

I used SW10 and Knoppix 4. The machine where my BL2 and BL3 reside does
not have a DVD drive, only CD.

> Maybe the DVDs here are not encrypted?

I think that is my problem. The DVDs all run without fuss on commercial
DVD-players but are unusable (so far) on my computer DVD drive.

> Do you have David's latest mplayer?

Yes, but not on that machine with the DVD drive.

David, did you compile it with the decryption included ?

Ah, well ! I will stick with what works, and what does't work I'll leave
alone.
One day I will try to re-compile mplayer with the decryption add-on, but I am
back at work now so I don't have the time to spend on it.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke