baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 03:46:13 +0000 (UTC)

I have to use scripts instead of aliases in an xterm. But I
don't usually run any programs in xterms, I use a virtual
terminal instead.

I assume you mean a plain tty, like you'd switch between
using Ctrl-Alt-F*.

What if you want to run more programs at the same time,
ones that can't be backgrounded?

Make more terminals in inittab.

How about if you have to really closely compare two
files? Splitvt?

A search on 'compare two files' gave many hits on 'cmp'.

I am thinking it needs a 'real' xserver, rather than Xvesa.

My head was up my ass.
Can you say that in fewer characters?

Sure. But I run 'xterms' in three windows at startup, and
sometimes more.

Why not use screen instead?

Screen is much larger than ratpoison (2X) and you can't
run x-apps. Like xli to view images while using links.

Links and zgv do not need X.

I run two full-screen programs on two monitors with mdacon for TTL on vt1 and vt2.

Screen also has networking capabilities, which are redundant
if you are using X.

Or splitvt? In a virtual terminal.

It's that image thing. When I want to view an image I
want to do it now and in the environment I normally use.
I'm not going to startx on a different tty and then hassle
moving files between them.

Please don't start going on about zgv/svgalib. That app/library
is _broken_ and I don't have the skill to fix it. It's the only
app/lib that has ever crashed linux for me.

Set the chipset line properly so it will not crash. Boot without config.sys. I have often crashed linux with X (especially xfbdev and Xvesa). I have svgalib working on all my computers.

Are you using a patterned background in swm?

Yes. Stock configuration.
Change it to solid black 'midnight'.

Lee